Hello!

See how we refurbished our old shutters and improved our curb appeal for under $50.

I have been a bit preoccupied with an injury and haven’t posted anything in a while! We completed this project this past May!

If you have read my previous posts Shed Update and Trim Paint you remember how much I dislike our house paint color. I won’t beat a dead horse but this is a continuation of the color scheme from the shed!

We began by taking down all of the light blue, sun bleached shutters. We have crank windows and unfortunately there were a few shutters that we could not access due to safety concerns.

For example:

img_0164

On the side of our house we have a steep incline and the upstairs windows go from being 2nd story to 3rd story. While Andrew painstakingly climbed up a massive ladder to remove most of the 2nd story shutters… I could not in good faith, ask him to risk his life for the two on the 3rd story.

You must be thinking…”Wow, what idiots. Why didn’t they just take them down from the inside by opening the windows?”

giphy

We tried, friends. We tried.

BUT, we have stupid crank windows that only open halfway on our 2nd floor windows. So, thanks for the suggestion but,

giphy (1)

That being said I had to come up with something..

NICU nurses often have to come up with creative ways to get a job done… Often times our patients are too small for the typical equipment and we need to come up with a new way of getting the job done.

So, that’s what I did for the shutters on the side of the house!

img_0153

I’m surprised to say that it worked!

We had an old painting pole in the garage so I taped a angled brush to the end of the pole and created a long paintbrush! I’m not going to lie, this took FOREVER and this should not be used as a replacement for taking your shutters down.

WARNINGS:

  1. If you are not experienced in painting you risk painting your house with the shutter paint color and then not being able to wipe it off (yikes)
  2. You will not be able to coat the shutter as perfectly as you can with spray paint so perfectionists beware
  3. You need to have a lot of upper body strength
  4. You will need to buy regular paint that matches your spray paint color you will be using on the other shutters

Most importantly, when you used the half-baked paintbrush method you will inadvertently get paint on the house BEHIND the shutter while you are painting the slats.  

We were okay with getting paint under the shutters because this is a very seldom seen area of the house and we physically wouldn’t be able to take these shutters down unless we had professional help.

.  .  .

Now that we’ve spent five hours coming up with this idea and hanging out the window to begrudgingly paint these two shutters… we can finally move on to the other 18 shutters!

giphy (3)

We stopped for lunch and then Andrew took down all of the remaining shutters.

Simple, right?

NO. I completely forgot to talk about a very important topic.

Did I forget to mention what creature loves to live behind shutters???

OH YEAH…FRICKEN BEES

giphy (4)

For some odd reason Andrew seems to care more about my stupid ideas than his own well-being. I’m not complaining, believe me, I know he’s a saint. Not gonna lie though, I would have jumped 20 feet to my death and high tailed it out of there the second I saw ONE black and yellow beast.

giphy (5)

But no, there’s Andrew, balancing on a 20 foot ladder, somehow holding the drill and the shutter while surrounded by angry bees.

If that’s not love, I don’t know what is…

 

FINALLY, all of the shutters are down. We power wash them and let them dry in the sun. Once they were dry I spray painted them with two layers of black spray paint that was specifically for outdoor plastic. We chose black so it would match our shed color scheme. It took around 4-5 cans of spray paint (~$4 each) to cover the shutters fully.

img_6554

We let them dry overnight and finished up the project the next day.

Thankfully, most of our windows are the same size and we didn’t have to keep track of where the shutters came down from. I don’t know if I could take any more critical thinking at this point.

All of the old hardware was rusty and broken so we purchased a box of new screws for under $5 and Andrew made his way back up the ladder to re-attach all of the new black shutters. Bless his heart.

We finished off our project by hanging our new Hanging Entryway Sign that I conveniently painted black to match the shutters 😉

We also purchased some cheap plastic hanging planters and attached those near the garage. We filled them with dirt and plan to save money by planting seasonal flowers instead of buying a whole new planter every season.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

All in all we saved a lot of money by painting our old shutters and doing the labor ourselves. However, I guess if you factor in how much we pay for life insurance for Andrew up on that massive ladder, it may not have been that cheap after all…

 

 

Advertisements